Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Default Brake for small windmill?

(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Get a disk of each of the same size, and a pair of magnets out
of a dead disk drive (be *very* careful not to get pinched when
separating the magnets -- those are killers. :-) Once you have both
disks, try each to see what behaves more like what you want. At a dead
stop, the aluminum will produce zero drag. The faster it turns, the
more drag. I've not tried it with steel, but I would expect more
braking at slow speeds, and less at high speeds.

Thanks!

Both should produce 0 drag at 0 speed. The lower the resistiviity the
higher the drag when moving, all other things being equal.
jk