Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default OT - In Age of High-Tech, Are Americans Losing Touch with DIY Skills?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:17:49 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:58:28 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, lew
hartswick quickly quoth:

Jim Stewart wrote:
I have far more equipment and skills than
my dad did, and he was no slouch at DIY.

I think I do also and he was also. :-)

I'll ditto this. My talents exceeded Dad's, but he got me started.

OK. What is a throttle position sensor and
what is it needed/used for?. I know what
the throttle in a carburator is and how
it works but the position sensor is a new
one on me.

The throttle position sensor on an EFI (that's Electronic Fuel
Injection for those of you in Rio Linda) works like an electronic
version of the venturi in the carb. It tells the EFI to put so much
gasoline out the injectors depending upon the position of the valve.

More correctly it tells the EFI computer not only the position of the
throttle but how fast it is moving in which direction. The amount of
fuel is tetermmined by the mass airflow sensor (MAF) and/or the
manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP). Both of theses sense engine
load. The throttle position sensor (TPS) tells the engine if the
throttle is closed (either at idle or on over-run - shut off injection
if on over-run) in the cruise area(run closed loop) or wide open (go
to open loop for max power). On some vehicles it also calls for
accelleration enrichment depending on how fast it is opening.

These sensors also control engne timing - and on some cars
transmission shifting and a host of other details.

Complex systems, the modern electronic engine control.