Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default OT - In Age of High-Tech, Are Americans Losing Touch with DIY Skills?

in my case we all can. if you refer to my web page, www.wbnoble.com, you
will find (under hobbies/cars) a photo of a green dodge - this is what both
daughters drove to HS (they are in their 20s) - the older one painted it
(fenders off, lots of sanding, etc), the younger one did timing chain, fuel
pump (by herself 100 miles from home, in the dark), brakes, etc. Both drive
manual trans, both do their own basic service though the older one really
doesn't like to. Both teach their friends (of both sexes) which way to hold
a screwdriver - I think a lot of the problem is parents who cannot be
bothered to spend time with their kids - after a couple of generations, the
skills are really lost. And for them, if we ever really enforce or
immigration laws, they will find it hard to cope.

there are several morals he
1. "I'm a girl" is not an excuse for lack of knowlege - "I'm not strong
enough" is a fair response when true - but show how to use leverage
2. that which isnt' taught isn't learned.
3. if you have no clue how it's done, you won't know when you are being
taken to the cleaners
4. if you know how, and dont' want to (for any reason), then that's OK

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:02:47 -0700, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

How many of your family memeber under the age of 60 know how to change a
tire? If you call AAA here in ski season you might wait 5 hours.
Mechanical skills are usually inherited from someone who teaches, not
self-taught. We are the ones who can do that. I have left a long chain of
people in my trade with more than they came in with, as it is my turn.

My 24 year old daughter can change her own tires, drives a standard,
checks her own oil (and HAS changed it). My 25 year old daughter, on
the other hand, HAS driven a standard, but much prefers the automatic.
She doesn't own a car, and would likelyu manage to change a tire if
she had to, but is a whiz in the kitchen.