Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Default OT - In Age of High-Tech, Are Americans Losing Touch with DIYSkills?

lew hartswick wrote in article
Jim Stewart wrote:
I have far more equipment and skills than
my dad did, and he was no slouch at DIY.

I think I do also and he was also. :-)

I put together a little toolkit for my
daughter to take with her to college. I
asked her if she ever used it last time
she was home. She said "all the time".

I did that for our daughter when she moved
away to another state and with good results.

Her current boyfriend is very good as well.
I handed him a new throttle position
sensor for her car and watched him install
it like a pro. Not a big job unless you
do something silly like drop the screws,
which he didn't.

OK. What is a throttle position sensor and
what is it needed/used for?. I know what
the throttle in a carburator is and how
it works but the position sensor is a new
one on me.
...lew...

One thing a TPS will do is tell the computer how hard the engine is
working......

For example......If you are at quarter throttle, moving down the highway at
2500 RPM the computer needs to set a different fueling scheme from having
the throttle wide-open with the engine turning 1000 RPM pulling a 35 foot,
loaded tag-a-long trailer up a hill.

That's a bit of an exxageration, but you get the idea.......

Throttle position is simply another measurement that is fed into the
computer to help it decide fuel and timing parameters.