Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT - In Age of High-Tech, Are Americans Losing Touch with DIY Skills?

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 14, 1:24 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
I'll believe it when I see something like the article I clipped from
_Boy's
Life_, around 1958 or so, about how to make a 'coon-skin cap. It even
contained patterns for cutting up the 'coon.
Ed Huntress

Couldn't find a racoon so I skinned a porcupine, then a skunk. Neither
one worked out very well...

Ouch! I'll bet the porky made a very uncomfortable hat.

But here's something that surprised me -- and I'm completely serious about
this -- that _BL_ article mentioned that skunks make very nice caps. I don't
recall what they said about the smell, but, IIRC, a good shot with a .22 to
the head was supposed to kill them before they spray. Getting the gland out
of them is another matter.

Did I ever tell the story here about the skunk that walked under the
picnic-table chair I was sitting in and decided to lay down there for a nap?
If not, remind me some time and I'll tell it.

--
Ed Huntress