Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default OT - In Age of High-Tech, Are Americans Losing Touch with DIY Skills?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:02:47 -0700, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

How many of your family memeber under the age of 60 know how to change a
tire? If you call AAA here in ski season you might wait 5 hours.
Mechanical skills are usually inherited from someone who teaches, not
self-taught. We are the ones who can do that. I have left a long chain of
people in my trade with more than they came in with, as it is my turn.

My 24 year old daughter can change her own tires, drives a standard,
checks her own oil (and HAS changed it). My 25 year old daughter, on
the other hand, HAS driven a standard, but much prefers the automatic.
She doesn't own a car, and would likelyu manage to change a tire if
she had to, but is a whiz in the kitchen.