Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Reverse Bifold doors: push in to open, pull out to close, where to get handles?

Jason Harrison wrote:
Hi,

After having pantry shelves installed, our existing hollow-core
interior door for our pantry would no longer close (or open) so we
would like to install a reverse bifold door to our pantry. A normal
bifold door would stick out into our small kitchen and since the
door would normally be open it would be in the way.

Questions:
1. should we use/install the typical no-mortise hinges or is their a
better hinge to use for "reverse operation"?

Take off the ones that come on it and move them to the outside.
_______________

2. what kind of handle/pull is available? If we simply install the
typical knob on the inside fold of the door, it will hit the other
folding surface and eventually this will lead to breaking the door.
If we install a handle further from the fold it will be mounted on
the hollow part of the door, so no strength. If we install a
handle on the outside frame we will have to pull very hard to close
the door.

Same answer
_______________

Any other alternatives, experiences or suggestions would be
appreciated.

Now, instead of sticking out into the kitchen, the door(s) will stick
into the pantry hindering(?) access to the new shelves. I'd use
swinging doors...doors that mount on pivot hinges and swing 180
degrees either in or out.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...