Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Turning - Thinking "Outside The Box"?

Hi Tom, No argument with you here and no attempt to demean the legions
of fine woodturner-craftsmen/artists whose egocentricity is contained
within reasonable bounds and in accord with their accomplishments.

At my level of craft/art expertise, to criticize the _work of my
superiors would be reaching beyond my grasp. I can however, recognize
conceit. The woodturnings that I see and like change with what I hope is
a modest growth in my ability to appreciate fine work. I believe that a
certain level of capability is required to discern and appreciate good
woodturning, whether considered as art or craft or both and regardless
of its relation to what we used to call "the box". I don't believe that
because someone likes a piece of turned art makes it defacto good art.

I am proud that the archives will include me with those who recognized
Andi's talent early on when she often posted here. Her work has only
gotten better and her self image is always pleasing and restrained.

I'm sure everyone here recognized that I was trying to use excessively
flamboyant tongue in cheek hyperbole to deflate _some (perhaps only to
me) overblown descriptives. It was not to make fun of anyone's work.
Maybe I should take a beginner's course in art speak and one in benign
'curmudgeny'.

I think that wood left inappropriately on a turning in order not to
waste it is far more wasteful than that left on the floor. Like the
long gone burlesque shows of my salad days, in turning wood what is
taken off counts for as much as what is left on.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter