Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Which Bowl Gouge To Buy? (warning; A long OT Mythical Tale O' Woe)

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:18:48 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

I did a lot of bowling in a past life, and as soon as you ordered a new ball,
the old one suddenly remembered how to throw strikes.. lol

Once It seemed that our best silverware made the food taste better. That
is until I realized that we only got out, polished and used the sterling
with our initials engraved on it when relatives and friends came for
holidays. I believed that Lori's best table settings made those happy
dinners taste extra good when she changed the menu from beer and
hamburgers to wine and roast turkey or the prime ribs of yesteryear (A
few old timers might remember those halcyon days before cholesterol and
out of reach prices when we could enjoy an occasional prime rib).

The turkey sandwiches and leftovers tasted even better for supper on the
mismatched thrift store plates and stainless ware at the kitchen table
..and we didn't need to get the tarnish off and carefully put them
away. If we broke a cup or bent a spoon in the dishwasher so what? It
was good for the grins.

Once it seemed that my premium, powdered and frozen steel bowl gouge
with the famous turner's name engraved on it made my wood turning go
better. That is until I realized that I only got out, sharpened, honed
and polished my deep fluted beauty on those special turning sessions
when I took great pains to turn a store bought exotic or a fine domestic
burl into my very best work.

My turning went even better the next day when I happily slapdashed
several bottle stoppers and miniature lighthouses from the exotic's
leavings and road kill timber using my comfortable ole Sears carbon
steel skew with sweat, grime and dried glue on the handle, but a sharp
clean and proper edge straight from the grinder.

OK, so this doesn't answer Joel's question (remember him?). Come on
now, give me a break. I realize I've made a long thread seem intolerably
longer, but there's less than 300 posts this morning. Can't RCW afford
the bandwidth?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

mac