Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ted Samuels Ted Samuels is offline

Default The devil made me do it

Ted Samuels wrote:
William Noble wrote:
2N5165 is an SCR (google is your friend) - I will bet you that one of them is
destroyed. the summary description is:

Silicon controlled rectifier. Reverse blocking triode thyristor. Peak repetitive
forward or reverse blocking voltage 200 V. in 2-pin 310-02 package. Operational
temperature range from -40°C to 100°C.

an SCR in a more modern package will be cheaper, but usually these parts are
quite inexpensive. See if you can find a source and get a price - easiest to
just change both if they are just a couple of $$. The other two things are
diodes - you can use any stud mounted diode with a reasonable PIV (say 200 to
400v) and a current of at least the max current you will draw through the
controller.

What is connected to the leads on the SCRs? the drive to one SCR may be damaged
also

Yes there are a pair of 2N5165, pressed into the sink, they are about 1/2"
dia with two terminals each and two 1/2" dia A448 single terminal
(diodes??) pressed into a second sink.
A448 should read A44B Eyes are getting old!

Is there any way to test the operation of the SRC without removal ? I read up on
how to test and I think I could manage to do the test

Thanks for the offer to source but I have found them , to be special ordered
through a local guy at $9.95 ea and $5.78 ea for the diodes.

The dealer's a good guy,, (says he will special order any time.(without having to
go across town and make a deposit)

Better run T

I de-soldered the four components and tested them all. I followed the test guide for
the SCRs and wasn't totally sure they were shot until I tested an SCR from an old
power supply. It behaved exactly as my instructions said it should. The two SCRs in
the controller acted nothing like the good one. So I am confident that I am on the
right track.

Had a little fun pressing the components out of the heat sinks, but I have a set of
12 LC Vise Grips which have the reach to get in between the heat sinks and with the
aid of a small pin taped to one jaw and a socket on the top end of the component the
all pressed out slick as you could wish for. The internet instruction suggested I
pry them out with a flat tip screw driver.

When pigs fly!!!

Will be 3 to 4 weeks to get the SCRs.

Gotta run

Change the . to a 1 to contact me direct.