Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default How much should be side to side play in mill quill?

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:07:40 -0700, Alex wrote:

John Martin wrote:
On Sep 13, 2:51 pm, Alex wrote:
I am shopping for a larger mill and found a Lagun FTV-4 for sale. It looks fine but it
has some side to side quill play.
If held the 1" bar stock hanging out of the collet and pulled on it while leaning back
with my full body weight (175), I got a little less than .001 deflection...if I really
yanked hard with an all out inertial type yank using my body weight it looked like it
moved almost .OO2.

Is it normal or excessive?

Indicator on head or on table? If it's on the table, you're measuring
flex in the column through the head. If on the head, just spindle/
quill/collet play and bar deflecytion. Either way, not too bad.

John Martin

Try this link to see the picture
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...rent=mill7.jpg

You got .002 by yanking hard on that setup?

The mill is just fine.

Gunner