Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT - In Age of High-Tech, Are Americans Losing Touch with DIY Skills?

"surftom" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 14, 1:24 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

oups.com...
In an accompanying aritcle to the PM's list of 25 skills every man
should know!
a discussion of whether Americans are losing their DIY skills.

Are they or are the skills needed just changing?

Your thoughts?

I suspect it is a bit of both.

TMT

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...o/4221637.html

By Glenn Harlan Reynolds
Illustration by Paul Blow
Photograph by Burcu Avsar
Published in the October 2007 issue.

snip

We're also seeing changes in our popular culture. One example is the
best-selling status of The Dangerous Book for Boys, by the brothers
Conn and Hal Iggulden. It hearkens back to the Boy Scout manuals and *
other boys' books of the early 20th century, with instructions on how
to build go-karts, bows and arrows, rafts and more. The book's success
tells me people are interested in regaining lost ground. (It works,
too: I gave my 8-year-old nephew a copy, and it got him away from the
Xbox and into the outdoors.)

======================================

I'll believe it when I see something like the article I clipped from
_Boy's
Life_, around 1958 or so, about how to make a 'coon-skin cap. It even
contained patterns for cutting up the 'coon.

Those were the days...

--
Ed Huntress

Sorry to say but...