Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Starrett and Global Series

Ignoramus19284 wrote:

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:56:12 GMT, Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus19284 wrote:

I have no doubt that the Chinese are capable of making high quality
products, especially under Starrett supervision and with CNC
equipment.

Looking at the HF dig calipers it's abundantly clear that the Chinese
are capable of producing quality products without supervision of a US
company. Those calipers are really quite good for general use, with
their only real fault being relatively short battery life.

Pete, I never owned such calipers, mine are Mitutoyo and they
surprised me again and again with their accuracy.

Could you tell me how did you verify their accurateness?

Let's say, did you measure a large gage block, moved the caliper back to
zero and re-measure the same block?

I don't have a gauge block set yet, I don't really need that level of
precision. That said, I compared them against some Swiss made dial
calipers measuring various items and they matched well. I also have the
HF 0-3" micrometer set which is also pretty decent. The micrometer set
comes with 1" and 2" standards and I measured these with the HF calipers
and came up with 1.0000 and 2.0000 which points to pretty decent
accuracy and repeatability, certainly adequate for HSM use.

They are quite acceptable for nearly any HSM use, at 1/10 the cost
of the big guys products.

Without a doubt, cost is part of the equation.

Cost and needs, and for most HMS use you don't need NIST traceable super
precision stuff. The big guys calipers are quite nice, but overkill.
That Ferrari might be nice, but will it perform any better than the
Chevrolet for grocery runs?