Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Default could alkaline battery leak onto circuit board cause problems ?

I once had a geiger counter - obtained at a Civil Defense Surplus Sale
for US$20 - that was destroyed by Eveready batteries. And lest you
ask why, my wife collects Fiesta Ware and its clones, some colors
are radioactive so we keep a gieger counter to put those in the "do
not eat from" set.

Anyway, based on the guarantee, I sent it off to Eveready. About four
weeks later, along came a check (and I remember it well) for $329.51
representing the "inflation-adjusted original price of the damaged
unit", together with a brief little note suggesting that I not leave
the batteries in the unit when not in use, especially as they were
over five years old.

Needless to say, from that point forward, nothing but Eveready is
used in our household.

My experience has been that Duracells are far more likely to leak than
Energizers. (Other people have had exactly the opposite experience.)

Several years ago, the Duracell AAs in my digital dictating machine
(provided with the unit) oozed and damaged the cover door. Duracell promptly
paid the $16 it cost to replace the door.

The manufactured in 1969 Polaroid 360 I bought a few years back had Eveready
alkaline batteries in it that still worked. They've worked since I bought
it, and only recently started to fade. Amazing. This is a quirk, of course,
the luck of the draw. I doubt Duracell or Eveready knows how to make
batteries of this consistent quality.