Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Default could alkaline battery leak onto circuit board cause problems ?

On Sep 12, 2:49 pm, Alasdair wrote:
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:07:47 -0400, "robb" wrote:
hi,

I think i have found the residue of alkaline battery leakage onto a
malfunctioning circuit board ?
could this cause problems ? what is best way to clean a circuit board ?

denatured alchohol ?

thanks for any advice,
rob

If the battery is a Duracell, they will replace the entire unit or pay
the price of a new one. That happened to me with a £100 radio.

--
Alasdair.

I once had a geiger counter - obtained at a Civil Defense Surplus Sale
for US$20 - that was destroyed by Eveready batteries. And lest you ask
why, my wife collects Fiesta Ware and its clones, some colors are
radioactive so we keep a gieger counter to put those in the "do not
eat from" set.

Anyway, based on the guarantee, I sent it off to Eveready. About four
weeks later, along came a check (and I remember it well) for $329.51
representing the "inflation-adjusted original price of the damaged
unit", together with a brief little note suggesting that I not leave
the batteries in the unit when not in use, especially as they were
over five years old.

Needless to say, from that point forward, nothing but Eveready is used
in our household.

I did replace the counter with a USN surplus unit, far nicer and more
sensitive than the one lost. $50 from a similar sale. I splurdged.
That was 15 years ago and it still serves on rare occasion.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA