Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default The devil made me do it

2N5165 is an SCR (google is your friend) - I will bet you that one of them
is destroyed. the summary description is:

Silicon controlled rectifier. Reverse blocking triode thyristor. Peak
repetitive forward or reverse blocking voltage 200 V. in 2-pin 310-02
package. Operational temperature range from -40°C to 100°C.

an SCR in a more modern package will be cheaper, but usually these parts are
quite inexpensive. See if you can find a source and get a price - easiest
to just change both if they are just a couple of $$. The other two things
are diodes - you can use any stud mounted diode with a reasonable PIV (say
200 to 400v) and a current of at least the max current you will draw through
the controller.

What is connected to the leads on the SCRs? the drive to one SCR may be
damaged also

"Ted Samuels" wrote in message
Ted Samuels wrote:
William Noble wrote:
ted - why don't you try and fix the controller?

I'll see if I can read the part numbers from the devices in the heat sink
and look them up on google if I can.

Left to see what was in the controller.

Yes there are a pair of 2N5165, pressed into the sink, they are about
1/2" dia with two terminals each
and two 1/2" dia A448 single terminal (diodes??) pressed into a second
sink.

A448 should read A44B Eyes are getting old!