Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
triker3 triker3 is offline

Default Really 'OUTSIDE the BOX'

How about making your own plastic blanks.. All you need is some food
coloring, A LARGE supply of Styrofoam peanuts or other scrap Styrofoam and a
tiny bit of gasoline, When I say tiny I do mean tiny like 1 oz.

put gas in a can add Styrofoam a little bit at a time while stirring
constantly you will be amazed at how fast gas eats Styrofoam. Keep mixing
until you have about 1 qt of very stiff material roll out into oversize
pieces (sp) and let dry a few weeks. If you live in the warm south about a
month will do all depends on how stiff your mixture was to begin with.

It will cut like a medium hard wood, sands very easily and can give you all
types of weird color and swirls.

In rural S.A. they use the gas and Styrofoam as a caulking material on thier
little fishing boats, as they have the gas and the foam is washed up on
shore from wherever.

Marty