Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson Andrew Mawson is offline

Default Update on the Containerized shop

"Kristian Ukkonen" wrote in message

Brent wrote:
I've posted a few questions off and on about things like putting
Machine tools on a wood floor and on insulating a shop. I figured

would post an interim update on how my shop upgrade is going.

I decided AGAINST erecting a structure and went the shipping

container
route instead. I made that realization wen i figured out i would

not
likely be staying at this house forever. If 9 of the 10 heaviest
items i own (Excluding my CAR) are already in the shipping

container
it will make future moves EXTREMELY easy. So i'm now the Proud

owner
of a 20 foot shipping container.

I have a 10 foot container which I have heat-insulated
and held for around 6 years now.. Temperatures from -30C
to +35C with snow at winter.

The most important gotcha is that the FLOOR is a big
heat loss at winter.. I installed styrox plates to
exposed metallic surfaces at the bottom, and prevented
airflow to under the container with wood plates.

I did the heat insulation by welding bolts to the inside
walls and ceiling every 60cm and then bolted wooden 2x2 to
the bolts. Between the 2x2 I put glass-wool.. On top of all
that cheap chipboard plates and painted the walls. I left
a slight opening between the plates and the floor, for air
access. Has worked wonderfully.

I painted the outside with green metal-roof paint
with brush.

Here's some pics from inside the container, mostly showing
the white chipboard walls:
http://www.iki.fi/ktu/sem/sem_general.jpg
http://www.iki.fi/ktu/tem/tem_general.jpg

Kristian Ukkonen.

What are you playing with there Kristian, an electron microscope?

AWEM