Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B*****y plumbers

Clive George wrote:
"George" wrote in message
.uk...

The market for small jobs is huge & very profitable. That's the
secret to
this handyman malarky.

But there is not enough hours in the day to make a real profit doing
the smaller jobs.

I think you've discovered why TMH is doing well - he's worked out a
pricing structure to allow him to do this, where all the other
tradespeople think as you do. Ie he's got a niche. His location
probably helps - not much travel time. Check out his website where
his charges page explains how he covers your worries.

The location certainly helps, 251,100 people in a Postcose area of 120 sq
miles. Thats roughly 10 x 12 miles and I don't work in all of that,
normally don't drive more that 5 or 6 miles to a job.

Covered by charging strictly by time, not by job.

Absolutely, I only ever quote a price per job when I do decking and the
margin is very flexible :-)

When quoting of r smaller jobs I will always hand the customer an A5 leaflet
which explains the charges and tell them 'between 3 & 4 hours' or whatever.
Thus they are chuffed if it takes 3 but prepared if it takes 4.

You then could find getting to the job you have to leave the job to
go and get items required for the job which amounts to another hour
or so?

Charged for - see posts passim.

Indeed. If I should have had the item on the van I don't charge, if I
couldn't reasonably be expected to I'm shopping whilst being paid.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman