Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
g g is offline

Default could alkaline battery leak onto circuit board cause problems?

In article , John Popelish wrote:
robb wrote:
I was about to ask if using an alkaline would help dissolve or remove
alkaline better than say using an acid which would have a reaction and is
there any possibility of damage to board with reaction taking place there
even though it is a neutralizing reaction ?

the leak seems to have spread up under some ICs as well would flushing be
sufficient ? as i cann ot get swab under well maybe i just get a thin strip
of paper and feed under the ends

Water is probably all you need to remove conductive (ionic)
contamination. Use a blast of hot water through a small
piece of tubing, if you can manage that, to jet the water
under components. Finish with a distilled water rinse and
remove most of the water with a jet of compressed air, if
you have that, and a thorough dry in a warm place before
turning power back on. I wouldn't force anything other than
water or air under parts.

I would just use air after the fluid has a chance to flow under the
components. I use a Weller hot air gun. I set the temp so the air is slighty
warm, because air and alcohol can form water. This process has to be repeated
many times, at times.

greg