Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Default British propensity for dimunitive nicknames (tranny, addy, proggy,etc.)

Eeyore wrote:

N Cook wrote:

snip

Only yesterday I had to correct my earlier misunderstood email reply to
someone in the USA.
I had earlier slipped into Brit-speak saying I'd posted something to him,
wheras for USA I have to say I had mailed it to him.
Americans pay checks with bills - we pay bills with cheques.

I like the French for bills (US checks) it's l'addition !...

Huh? I thought you both had transposed 'check' and 'bill' as a typo; never
have I encountered this usage in the U.S. This sounds a bit like
negative energy; if we in the U.S. could pay our debts with 'bills'
we'd all be richer than Croesus. Except for the spelling (check vs.
cheque) we're stuck tendering that bank draft to pay our 'bills'.

Regards,

Michael