Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Turning - Thinking "Outside The Box"?

Hi Charlie, It's not only the "Turning - Thinking Outside The Box" that
overwhelms us. It's also the exaggerated hyperbole from outer space and
beyond that some wood artists use to describe themselves, their sacred
missions and their venerated art. Issued from an atelier-studium
somewhere in a new universe on the other side of a black hole, these
turnings leave us amazed and confused, hopeless in our futile attempts
to understand their meaning. For all we crafters know, the message may
as well have been sent in a string of mathematical symbols in Morse
code.

Forget those hackneyed rallying calls about the eye of the beholder and
all that. "If you crafters understand it, it's not art". That's the
condescension of some elite and enlightened wood artists of today. I
realize of course, that we all must try to advance the craft and make it
art, but is it an advance when a pedantic artist advances so far out
that he becomes in our guarded murmurings, just another laughing stock?

Rhetorically speaking and musing in my own hyperbole, whatever goes
around comes around and whatever's turned outside the box turns around.
Good looking bowls and handsome candle sticks are gonna rise again. Just
you wait and see, Mr. B.

Forget my hyperbole, Charlie. I Hope that toothache is long gone.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter