Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ted Samuels Ted Samuels is offline

Default The devil made me do it

William Noble wrote:
ted - why don't you try and fix the controller?

I'll see if I can read the part numbers from the devices in the heat sink and look
them up on google if I can.

Left to see what was in the controller.

Yes there are a pair of 2N5165, pressed into the sink, they are about 1/2" dia with
two terminals each
and two 1/2" dia A448 single terminal (diodes??) pressed into a second sink.

it sounds like it has a bad
diode or two in a full wave bridge, or a smoked SCR -
1. do you have a schematic? if yes, several of us could suggest probable
parts to check/change

I can only wish! (I looked up the only number printed on the case and it turned out
to be the part no of the fuse

2. if no schematic, can you tell an SCR from a resistor? if yes, just
change the SCRs and diodes, you have about a 60% chance of getting it
working that way, if no, maybe a photo onto binaries? Can you solder? if
no, better not mess with it, but if yes, then you can probably fix it

Yes I am a bit familiar with diodes resistors and caps but I would be hard pressed to
identify an SCR. I assume it would pass for a diode with an extra connection for a
gate (if thats the right name, IE to control the flow through the SCR)

Question is do they have to be removed to be tested or do you have to pull them to test?

Better run got fish to fry

"Ted Samuels" wrote in message
beecrofter wrote:

Well now I know for sure what would happen. Better find out
before I went to the bother of replacing the existing motor.

Got to find some good in what I did. Perhaps it will save some one
else from the same fate.

Besides, I am retired and I like messing around.

Thanks