Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B*****y plumbers

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message

The market for small jobs is huge & very profitable. That's the
secret to this handyman malarky.

But there is not enough hours in the day to make a real profit doing
the smaller jobs.

Most of wasted time is based around getting to and from the next job,
an hour or so is wasted discussing with the punter what they want and
getting your tools on the job and then getting them together in the
van for the next job and also you might end up having to stretch a 1
hour job which usually ends up being 2 hours.

I charge from the time I arrive, so if the punter wants to chat they are
paying me.

You then could find getting to the job you have to leave the job to
go and get items required for the job which amounts to another hour
or so?

If I need bits I couldn't have known about in advance, or need to measure up
then I charge for the time taken to go shopping.

I bet if you were to do a time and motion study for one week or even
one day your hours amount at least 3.5 to 4 hours lost due to none
related work, thats not forgetting the dinner hour also.

I don't have a dinner hour.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman