Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Yukio YANO Yukio YANO is offline

Default Aiming Satellite Dish

Yukio YANO wrote:
Buck Turgidson wrote:
My neighbor just removed a giant tree, so I think I can now get a
dish. A few years ago, I remember that there was a website in which
you put your lat/long (or zip code), and it would tell you the date
and time and which the sun would be in the same spot as the satellite,
for aiming purposes.

Does anyone know if this website still exists? I searched high and
low and can't find it. Thanks.

Go to USNO and find link to Altitude and Azimuth of the Sun and Moon
USNO = United States Naval Observatory. About 3/4 of a page down on the
Home Page

I use this Site regularly , last time I used it and Google Earth to
calculate the height of a local Cell Tower, Used Google Earth "RULER" to
measure distance from tower, to where I stood when the sun was shining
through the top of the tower, noted the time of day and found the
altitude angle of the sun and multiplied the distance from the Tower
with the TAN of the Sun Angle.

When I was Camping this Summer I used the Azimuth of the Sun to locate
my satellite Dish to point through an opening between trees at 12:10
Local Time. So I am quite familiar with your situation.

Only problem to note!! If your dish is mounted "Too Low" signal
reflections from the ground can cause mysterious NULLS in the Signal.

I know I had the "Right" Azimuth, so moving the Dish UP solved the Problem.

Yukio YANO

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/