Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default British propensity for dimunitive nicknames (tranny, addy, proggy, etc.)

Meat Plow wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 23:31:44 +0100, Eeyore wrote:

Franc Zabkar wrote:

Why do Chinese English speakers (for example in Singapore) say
"spoiled" when they mean "damaged" or "faulty"?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spoiled

13. an imperfectly made object, damaged during the manufacturing

process.

Graham

Funny I suppose that you Brits refer to a CRT as a tube yet insist on
calling a tube a valve.

Only yesterday I had to correct my earlier misunderstood email reply to
someone in the USA.
I had earlier slipped into Brit-speak saying I'd posted something to him,
wheras for USA I have to say I had mailed it to him.
Americans pay checks with bills - we pay bills with cheques.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England