Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz Dave Hinz is offline

Default Bio-Fuels Bite the Dust

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 05:00:23 -0000, wrote:
On Sep 12, 6:17 am, Maxwell Lol wrote:

I don't have the reference, but someone told me that if we switched to
biofuel, we would starve because we would need all of the land
available to make the fuel - and there would be nothing left for food.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics... _boondoggles
According to this: Ethonal accounts for 3.5 percent of our gas
consumption currently, And uses 20 percent of the Corn Crop.

Of which year's? The nice thing about crops, is they can change
proportions of one to the other year to year. And, if the price gets
attractive enough to grow, lots of folks who have land in CRP programs
will decide to take 'em out - which is what CRP is for in the first
place.

They don't cite where they got their numbers though.

Of course they don't. But pretending that the corn supply is inelastic,
or that corn is the only/best way to make methanol, are two problems
with that particular point of view.