Posted to uk.d-i-y
marting marting is offline

Default Low energy lamps with dimmer

wrote:
Thus spake Andy Hall ) unto the assembled multitudes:

How the fans of CFLs fool themselves. I've fitted 24W CFLs supposed to
be equivalent to 100W incandescent bulbs. The light from them is about
the same as I get from a 15W incandescent bulb.

I've found them to be suitable for exterior use in lanterns, but that's
about it - nothing inside. Too dim and the sickly light.....

Has anyone tried LED lamps? I bought, as a trial, a couple of GU10 LED
spotlamps to fit in a five-unit ceiling fitting (the other three units are
GU10 CFLs). They give quite a bright output for only 1.2W consumption each
(the CFLs are 7W consumption). They are rather more directional than the
CFLs (not to mention having a rather 'cold' quality to their light). For
me, the jury's still deliberating...

I bought a couple of 12V led's to replace some 20W halogens. 6 months
later half the led's have gone and one flickered so badly I had to take
it out, making any money savings on energy use a moot point.

I'm generally in favour of energy-saving lighting but I've had trouble
and failures with GU10 replacements, both CFL and LED, that i don't get
with the standard 12W "replace your 60w bulb with this" CFL's.