Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default British propensity for dimunitive nicknames (tranny, addy, proggy,etc.)

Meat Plow wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Franc Zabkar wrote:

Why do Chinese English speakers (for example in Singapore) say
"spoiled" when they mean "damaged" or "faulty"?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spoiled

13. an imperfectly made object, damaged during the manufacturing process.

Graham

Funny I suppose that you Brits refer to a CRT as a tube yet insist on
calling a tube a valve.

The reason for calling your tube a valve is because it has a current controlling
effect. As in a water valve also controls the flow of water.

In the case of a CRT the control aspect no longer applies to some load part of
the circuit so I can understand why it wouldn't be called a valve. Also we'd
have to have a different acronym which would be a bit silly.

Graham