Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Which Bowl Gouge To Buy?

may I humbly disagree, please..... look at the amazing work done in the
early 1800s by folks like Francois Barot - this was before any form of tool
steel was invented. Look at the work from the elizebethan period - carbon
steel was at best a guessing game. You don't need super duper tools to do
good art (you do need super duper tools to do high precision work with
interchangable parts, but that's a different topic). A bad tool will not
prevent a skilled artist from making his art, and the best tool in the world
won't help an unskilled non-artist create art.

so, you bowls will not be any better if you use the world's best gouge than
if you use a sharp rock lashed to a stick.

However, you may find it more enjoyable to use a nice fancy tool than the
sharp rock lashed to a stick...... for most of us, this is a hobby after
all, not a profession. Invest accordingly.

"mike vore" wrote in message
mac davis wrote:
Related question: How much better would/wood my bowls be if I used a $150
bowl
gouge?

As with any woodworking tool, better tools are easier to work with and
will
allow you to do better work. You will be 'fighting' with a poor tool to
get
'so-so' work.

A good named brand $70-$100 bowl gouge made of HSS will have a good
profile,
be easy to sharpen, and hold the edge lots longer than a cheep tool-steel
one.
Keeping a sharp edge will allow you to work longer and make lots better
cuts
than a dull tool. And will last longer since you won't be grinding it away
as
often. Better cuts mean smoother finishes.

Going to the extreme $150 gouge is way overkill for a beginner. But it may
keep it's sharp edge way longer.

In short, don't go Cheep or it will actually cost more in the long run.

--
Mike Vore
http://www.OhMyWoodness.com