Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ted Samuels Ted Samuels is offline

Default The devil made me do it

As I mentioned earlier, I think I'll cut my losses and scrap the controller. BTW
the controller will still drive the motor in forward and reverse but the armature
is only getting about 19 volts at minimum speed and 36 volts at a slightly higher
RPM. Perhaps 150 RPM. In addition to that the "ON" breakers are now chattering
and I have to hold the "ON" switch for a second or so to get it to latch.

Better scoot now. Thanks Bill

William Noble wrote:
if you want to fix the electronics, start by providing some information -
like what is it, is there any visible damage, and a photo. As others
pointed out, it's most likely diodes and SCRs and transistors that are
damaged, the older drives are easy to fix, just find all the bad parts and
replace them - newer ones have surface mounted parts and custom VLSI and are
much harder to work on. SCRs cost a dollar or two each, you can look up by
part number what the specs are and buy a modern number.

so, have you actually tested the motor? a car battery provides enough
voltage to run a 100 V motor, just energize both the field and armature and
see if it turns
"Ted Samuels" wrote in message
William Noble wrote:
if there is electronics, it's most assuredly damaged - power the motor
separately
from the electronics and see if it works, if yes, then you at least know
where to
look - a modern DC motor control is not too expensive though and there
are a lot
on ebay, otherwise look at Minarik.com they make nice ones

I was hoping to get a steer in the direction of what's most likely
damaged . In
any case I gave myself a good lesson on reversing.

Thanks again T

Thanks William (Bill)

Yes, I expect my adventure will cost me the price of a new controller.
Kind of a shame.
It was a nice setup. I suppose I could still use it to provide the field
current and
a variac with a rectifier for the current to the armature. I enjoy
tinkering.

The lathe is already powered so there is no urgency. I just thought the
reverse and
variable speed of the DC motor would have been a nice touch.

Thanks for the good advise.