Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Bio-Fuels Bite the Dust

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 00:39:42 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete
C." quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

still more snippage

I'm curious to see the outcome of the FedEX solar experiment in
Oakland. 904kW of solar covering 81k feet of roof.

Haven't seen anything about that. Sounds interesting. Key thing being
utilizing existing roof space to avoid the environmental impact of the
attempts at utility scale solar.

http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com...story?id=17154

even more snippage
I've always tried to double/tripletask my trips. Whenever I'm in town,
I shop on the way to or from home, saving at least one trip if not
more each time. Keeping a running list of items I need with me in the
truck helps. I add to and scratch off items each time.

Same here for the longer trips. When I visit the office about about 60
miles away about once a month I schedule that to coincide with a number
of other activities in the area.

Oh, yeah. Whenever I need to go to Medford, I hit the Target, Costco,
Harbor Freight, Michaels, the ITEX (my barter group) warehouse, and
whatever else I need there while I'm there. It's only a half hour
drive, but that's $10 in gas, so I make it count, make a day of it.
I sometimes stop in Phoenix and Ashland on those trips, too. Home
Depot finally put a store nearby (28 miles is closer than the old 100
mile distance. I used to mail order things instead.)

The additional taxes and insurance on a second vehicle, not to mention
the vehicle cost itself would make such a second vehicle a money pit, so
until something is done to reform taxes and insurance, expect to see me
grocery shopping in a 7,000# truck.

I'm pleasantly surprised that my new truck will cost only $250 more in
insurance per year than my old '90 F-150. The value difference is
about $25k.

My point was the additional cost for a second vehicle in taxes and
insurance, which in my case would substantially exceed the potential gas
savings.

Right. My insurance statement was more of an aside than an addition to
the thread context. I was very happy to hear it.

more snippage

Do you think lessons will ever be learned? Look at thousands of years of
history and the same problems occurring over and over and over again.
Lessons are never learned for any appreciable length of time, they may
be learned in the short term but are rapidly lost on successive
generations.

Good question. Look at the "leadership" we have and the corruption of
our gov't., yet people still vote for the same thugs every year. deep
sigh

Yes, the same thugs of either party. They may be at opposite ends of the
spectrum, but they both still suck.

100%, minimum.

--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.