Andy Farrall

Default White paint/plaster stuff on my cellar walls

I guess it would be distemper - a mix of chalk (calcium carbonate) , water
and possibly linseed oil. Have a look at this link:

http://www.spab.org.uk/publications_...distemper.html

As the previous poster has suggested, Farrow & Ball manufacture distemper:

http://www.farrow-ball.com/main.php?terr=uk

Andy

"James W" wrote in message
om...
Hi

On my cellar walls and joists, there is a white coating which can be
described as a cross between paint and plaster. It is quite thick but
most is coming off in large brittle flakes. Am I right in assuming
that this is whitewash? I know that a lime based coating is best in a
cellar as it breathes. Does anyone know how I would make up more of
this?

Thanks in advance

James