Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David D David D is offline

Default What does the inside of the dv input/output on a camcorder look like? What is the connection mechanism to the firewire cable?

On Sep 12, 5:33 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:28:39 -0700, David D wrote:
Thanks for that, but I need to know if I am going to do any damage to
the camcorder if I cross pins and the like, that is why I was hoping
to see a picture of the inside of the DV camera firewire port.

Well that's the best I could do. Firewire is actually a serial data port
like an RS-232 port. Don't know what damage you could have caused to a 4
pin port considering that they are twisted pair data and clock lines with
no power supply IIRC. Best bet is to get the device to a qualified tech
and let them determine if the pins have been bent or crossed and if so, if
they can be straightened out. Chances are low that any electronic damage
was done to the device.

Thanks for that. I would like to get them straighten, if possible,
the only problem is that when I phoned a tech place, they want to
change the board rather than try to straighten the pins - that means
at least $200.00. I was hoping that if I could extend the pins of the
cable long enough, I might manage to touch the bent pins inside the
camera, but I worried about frying the whole camcorder by doing
this...maybe?