Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

Default Hourly rate ?

Eeyore wrote:
Just curious as to some idea of what you find people will cough up for equipment
repair.

I got a surprise last year when Shuttlesound (a UK pro-audio distributor)
informed me that they charge £35 (IIRC) per 'unit of labour'. The unit in
question was 1/4 hr !

**Servicing almost anything but 'mission-critical' equipment (robotics
controls for a manufacturing plant, for instance) is a mug's game. Back
when I started to service professionally in my own business (1980) I was
charging AUS$25.00/hour. Allowing for inflation, I should be charging
around $180.00/hour today. The industry standard is more $80.00/hour.
That is all I can legitemately charge to service domestic/pro equipment.
Add to that, the incredibly low cost of most products now (a client
delivered a Chinese made, 250 W/ch pro amp for service - he paid
AUS$450.00 new for it), it is not worth servicing a large number of
products that cross my bench. It's not going to get any better and it'll
be quite some time before I can afford a case of Veuve Cliquot (vintage)
again. The best I can mange is the odd bottle of non-vintage.

Time to find a new career.

Trevor Wilson