Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Brent is offline

Default Update on the Containerized shop

On Sep 12, 4:19 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Sep 12, 12:11 pm, Brent wrote:

On Sep 11, 11:05 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

On Sep 11, 8:02 am, "Pete C." wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

On Sep 10, 5:42 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
"Wayne C. Gramlich" wrote:

Brent wrote:
[snip]

The container is delivered and resting on eight pads made up of a pair
of 4 inch solid concrete blocks. For the most part not all are
touching but if there is any settling the open ones will start taking
the load

When it is time to ship the container, how hard is it
for a shipper to pick it up off the concrete pads? Is
this a "standard procedure" or "time to rent a special
crane" or "something else"?

[snip]

Thanks,

-Wayne

Easy to pick up. For non port pickup and delivery of containers
hydraulic tilting flatbed trailers with big winches are the norm. They
could very easily drag the container onto the trailer as is, or for a
little more refinement jack the container off the blocks and onto some
pipe rollers first.- Hide quoted text -

Good point....maybe now is a good time to attach the machines to a
false floor so if and when you move later they are already secured.

TMT

False floor??? The container floor is already 25mm hardwood plywood over
steel C channel on about 12" centers. Bolt directly through that floor,
can use big washers or load plates underneath as well.- Hide quoted text -

I mention a false floor because metalworking machines can be
heavy...very heavy.

If I had a Bridgeport in such container, I would want it securely
attached to the floor when the container was relocated.

Also a false floor allows one to rearrange machinery without
butchering up the main flooring and allows one the ability to run
cables and ducts under it.

TMT

TMT

I have an Index Model 45 its about bridgeport sized maybe a bit bogger
and i DO share your concerns about bolting it

but i will need to both BOLT and level it and right now it has
levelling screws in the base.

but since moving the container is a Secondary concern to making it
into a valid shop for now i'm not THAT worried about how to bolt it to
the floor for another year or so. also if there is to be any settling
i expect it to happen inthe first winter and spring and i will need to
likely re-levle the machine once the ground thaws- Hide quoted text -

I understand...I would not be paranoid about it but it is SO MUCH
EASIER to do this type of thing before the shop is FULL of
tools...guess how I know? ;)

Placing a mounting point in the back of the container will allow you
to use a winch to drag new items into the shop also.

TMT

TMT

TMT there are hooks on the floor that are perfect for EXACTLY the
purpose having used them to drag the index mill in i will not be able
to work without some type of firmpoint for material handling