Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Brent is offline

Default Bio-Fuels Bite the Dust

On Sep 12, 8:59 am, Pete Snell wrote:
What is it with people? Whenever alternative power solutions are
presented or tested, there is always a Chicken Little faction that has
to point out that it isn't perfect and we have to look elsewhere or
disaster looms. It seems that 'someone' thinks that there is a solution
out there that is universal, safe as apple pie, and could be implemented
perfectly on a week's notice. Until people change their perception of
what actually works, and how it should work, we're gonna be stuck with
what we have. Bio-fuels make good sense for certain sectors and
countries, but obviously not all. Wind power makes sense for on-the-spot
power generation, but not much as a central power source. Etc, etc.

Pete
--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence
over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
Richard Feynman.(1918-1988)
Personal Observations on the Reliability of the (Space) Shuttle.
Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion
groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!
-- Seehttp://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dbabble.htm ----

It bothers me that some people are not looking at the overall picture.
I thin every landfill in canada should be tapped for methane
generation and there should be at least a SMALL methane powerplant in
every landfill.

I'd like to see there be large incentives for diesel powerplants over
gas, they do burn stuff the gas cant touch and do so with more thermal
efficiency. I'd like to see stuff like mandatory recyclin of oil
products since once again rather than being wasted then can be burned.

If its wasted anyhow at this point and it can be converted to do
something useful before it would become a greenhouse gas then thats a
step forward there too. if you can make combustible plant oil out of
compost and reuse or sell it then that is a "free gain" it would have
become greenhouse gases anyhow but instead we reclaimed it and got a
fuel cycle out of it before it become greenhouse gas. to me that a
positive step.

I'd love to see a LOT of money donated to projects fitting under the
category of "we would have wasted it anyway so how can we use the
waste before it becomes greenhouse gas" I'd love to see a bunch of
small powerplants running on "waste" material or industrial plants
adjusting to use waste form other industries instead of "new" oil
reserves. I saw a concrete plant that was powered by old tires instead
of coal. Its still polluting as much as ever but its reusing other
pollutats that are going to landfills or to tire dumps to sit there
that to me is STILL an overall saving, the tire would have rotted out
instead of being used for fuel or blasting mats

Is Biodiesel perfect, not even close. But can it amke better use of
energy that is otherwise Wasted, absolutely especially when the
tolerance of lower fuel qualities is taken into account

I'd take biodiesel over any E85 solution that way

Brent
Ottawa Canada