Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default B*****y plumbers

"raden" wrote in message
In message , tim.....
writes

My 'tag line' is "For all those little jobs that need to be done".

If I get a call asking for an estimate and they say they have 2 other
companies giving quotes, I just turn it down - can't be arsed to
compete.

The market for small jobs is huge & very profitable. That's the secret
this handyman malarky.

That's interesting.

It's just that it's the opposite of what the guy from Cambridge
who came here 3-4 years ago said (I wonder if he's still
lurking?).

Some of you will remember that he moved over to trying out
being a handyman, as he was then finding little work in IT
due to ageism (which is pretty much where I am now).

After about 2 years he gave it up because he couldn't find
enough small customers to make it worthwhile. He said
that there was enough work if he was prepared to take on
the bigger jobs but that he didn't want to (or couldn't) do
that.

I wonder if your high density location is the difference?

More likely they are too busy setting fire to waste bins and stealing cars
to be bothered doing it themselves

But do you want that sort of person as a customer?

tim