Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default How durable are cheap tools?

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 21:33:46 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

tim..... wrote:
I have some scrap wood that I need to cut up into
short lengths to make wood for the fire.

I am fed up doing this by hand and a jigsaw which I
already have doesn't seem the appropriate tool.

I was looking for something cheap and found that B&Q
sell a mitre saw for under 30 pounds.

As I'm not interested in the mitre, I will probably be pretty
heavy handed with it. Is it likely that this be up to the job
or is it going to break after a few cuts?

Wont be especially accurate or that durable but will certainly cut scrap
wood OK.

Just bear in mind that scrap wood might (a) have lead based paint or (b)
might have a timber treatment applied - neither of which will make it
suitable for the fire.

B&Q sell an 850W reciprocating saw for £29.98

Has to be better than any handsaw for sawing waste wood. I bought one
to demolish a rotten old shed.

DG