Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B*****y plumbers

tim..... wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message .uk...
tim..... wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message . uk...
Back in the 4th floor flat again today, one of the jobs was to fit
a bath panel.

Boy, you get all the big jobs don't you :-)

I don't want big jobs. I regularly turn down complete bathrooms or
kitchens.

That I can understand.

But there's small and there's *small*!

I can earn more doing 2 or 3 smaller jobs with less hassle.

Can you really get enough work just doing small jobs
(genuinely interested).

Absolutely. I'm currently booked solid until the 8 October with more jobs
coming in every day. Smallest job I've ever done is to change a single
light bulb - albeit 30' above a stairwell.

Two jobs today. Lady with a blocked gutter on an extension & some flatpack
drawers that had falled apart. Second was a church with a door parted from
the top hinge & a Yale lock that wouldn't shut properly. Took £180 labour
only.

Thats where the niche market is for me. Lady called today, wants 1 x
mirror, 2 x pictures & 2 x shelves fixing to walls. She had called 6 other
firms who all said the job was too small. That will take an hour for £45
leaving most of the day free for other jobs.

Sparkies are all Part P organised, plumbers are all CORGI registered, so
can't afford to take on smaller jobs. Putting up a new light fitting or
changing a tap washer are jobs they can't be bothered with.

My charges are geared to pay me more for smaller jobs see
http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/charges.htm

Three calls came in today for small jobs, 1 of which I've probably lost
because I can't do it for 3 weeks.

My 'tag line' is "For all those little jobs that need to be done".

If I get a call asking for an estimate and they say they have 2 other
companies giving quotes, I just turn it down - can't be arsed to compete.

The market for small jobs is huge & very profitable. That's the secret to
this handyman malarky.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman