Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Dumb soldering Q

In article ,
Puddin' Man wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 07:06:59 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
I've got an old stereo receiver with a broken main switch (not
replaceable). It won't power.

I can solder a jumper across 2 contacts on the switch board (I think).
Then add an in-line switch to the power cord.

Don't know much about soldering ...

What should I use for a jumper? Copper? Other material? Stranded?
Non-stranded?

Why the jumper? Just heat one of the existing connections until the solder
melts, pull the wire loose, then solder the loose wire to the other switch
terminal.

It's one of those push-button switches. All enclosed, and mounted
to a little PCB, which has 2 solder points for switch current.
'Tis them that I will jump.

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller

And then my suggestion to use liquid flux makes even more sense, because
you can leave the switch where it is, and simply drop the jumper in
there, using the solder that's already holding the switch. The liquid
flux lets you reflow the joint, adding the jumper, with no additional
solder.