Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,or seen so far ?

ameijers wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Lee Michaels wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote

I'll tell you one thing: I'm going to make darned sure I keep my
hair cut short...

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a deputy sheriff. He used
to have a handsome head of hair. Until the night he got involved
in an altercation with a crazed, very intoxicated woman. She
grabbed his hair in a death grip and they could not pry her loose
for several minutes. By that time, she had torn much of his scalp
loose from his head.

The resulting injuries were very painful and took awhile to heal.
They shaved his head before they did the surgery to reattach his
scalp. He had to keep it shaved during the recovery. It has never
been more than a half an inch long since.

He said if he retires or takes up another line of work, he might
grow some hair agin. But as long as he is a law enforcement
officer, he will go with a buzz cut.

I don't know what a buzz cut is, but I suspect that it is a cut of
the hair that can not be grabbed/held.

'Buzz Cut' draws its name from the buzzing sound the clippers make
as
they ride along the scalp. Think electric dog clippers- basically
the
same thing. The buzz is 60hz, from the alternating line current,
that
is used to move the heads back and forth. In UK, it would be a 50hz
buzz. You hear it right through your skull. I had buzz cuts as a
kid,
until I looked in the mirror one day around 4th or 5th grade. I had
pony tail as a teenager, but am back to above-the collar now. The
current buzz-cut fad, presumably war-inspired, leaves me cold.

Doubt that it really has anything to do with war. Circle goes
around--when I was a little kid buzz cuts and crew cuts were popular.
When I was a bit older styles got longer (I remember when the Beatles,
as they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, had scandalously long hair)
and longer and longer and then shorter and shorter and shorter and now
we're back to buzz cuts. In another 30 years or so it will be long
again.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)