Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default British propensity for dimunitive nicknames (tranny, addy, proggy,etc.)

Arfa Daily wrote:

I can't actually think of too many 'electronic' abreviations in common
verbal usage here. "Screwdy" maybe for a screwdriver. "Amp" for amplifier.
"Sig genny" - obvious "Speccy" or "Spec-Anny" for a spectrum analyser might
be a few, but this have all been in use for as long as I can remember.

Screwy, sig-gen, scope, nippers, conk (condenser), pot, reccy, juice,
the list goes on, there may even be a North/South divide here.
When you enter the technical world of 'The Theatre' shortforms and slang
abound... ceeforms, soco's, leko`s grellies, moles, pyros, twofers and
threefers, limes etc.

I guess every trade has it`s own language.

Ron(UK)