Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default Equipment, and the Useless Eco- legislation ...

On Sep 11, 11:33 am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Don Bowey" wrote in message

On 9/11/07 3:28 AM, in article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

I have just had a Denon AVR1800 AV amp come across my bench. It is a
reasonably sophisticated model with six channels and Dolby Digital and
DTS
modes, optical inputs and so on. It has an open circuit power transformer
primary. Enquires to the Denon spares agent came back with the surprising
news that it is "no longer available".

snip
I've been in the consumer electronics repair game for a very long time,
and
I realise that spares can't be kept for ever, but I really think that for
an
item such as this, which I'm willing to bet being a Denon, set the owner
back a pretty penny when he bought it, should be supported by them for at
least 10 years, instead of it now being an otherwise perfectly good,
piece
of written-off potential landfill.

snip
Arfa

Good rant, but........

have you any proof of government responsibility?

Responsibility for what ? Trying to force eco-friendliness on us all ? Why
yes then !! The half-arsed ill thought through RoHS legislation championed
by most of the governments in europe will do for a start. Then there's
national government provoking local government into introducing eco
legislation that leaves ordinary citizens with a fine and a criminal record
for accidentally putting a paper envelope into a rubbish receptacle
designated to be for glass ... Given those, I think that government has
amply demonstrated that they want to get their snouts stuck into all this
eco nonsense, so if they are going to do the job, they might as well do it
properly, and do something that really *will* make a difference, like
legislating on spares availability and pricing.

Arfa

Not sure what it's like in the UK but in the US the manufacturer pays
tax on items on the shelf so after a short time it isn't worth keeping
spares. In the US I believe there is a mandated 7 year parts
availability but I don't know if that is from date of introduction or
date of end of production though nowadays that may be on the order of
months anyway.

I opened a small transformer (not a big Sony or Denon) and found a
resistor sized picofuse under the top layer of insulation and replaced
it with the same size/value fuse. Would that be a possibility for the
Denon and would that pass the legal requirements ? (I suspect not)

GG