Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default dead wasp nest and the lingering stench of death!

"Cookie" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, I took up the laminate flooring last night and managed to prise
up 1 floorboard. Had a peek but couldn't see all the way to the other
end of the room so am going to have to pull a few more up and do some
crawling.
Did manage to find a golf-ball sized nest though. Amazing little
things. Kids are gonna take it to show and tell today.
Are the nests always gonna be dangling spheres?

The classic wasp nest is but in a confined space it will more than likely be
attached to its surroundings.

The small one you found was started not less than a few months ago, it might
well be years old. They are delightful and I'm pleased that the children are
interested.

If I'm asked to dispose of a nest, if can't persuade the reluctant host to
let the occupants live out their normal span AND there is a genuinely good
reason for doing it (there rarely is) I cut round the edges, put it in a bin
liner and take it home to put in the chest freezer., That means that no
toxic substance is left in the house and the wasps die with no distress.
After a few hours the nest can be removed from the bag.

Then I take a bread knife and cut through the nest, very carefully, from top
to bottom. This will show the marvellous structure of the whole and is a
very satisfying way to explain to children the life of social wasps - as
well as maths, architecture, society, physics, building ... anything you can
think of. They are always interested, even the silly ones who have
contracted unreasonable fear from adults. They ask lots of questions, far
more searching in some ways than those adults ask, I have to know the
subject thoroughly but even I'm sometimes stumped! Looking at a dead wasp
under a microscope or even a simple magnifying glass is fascinating,
everyone is always surprised at how hairy they are - even their eyes are
hairy.

That was my greatest surprise too, the first time I looked at an enlarged
view.

Sorry, I'm rambling again!

Mary