Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Steve W. Steve W. is offline

Default Equipment, and the Useless Eco- legislation ...

Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:28:31 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

A few years ago I bought a 1981 Honda CB750-F that had 5K miles on it for
$800.00 US. The bike was and still is in near mint condition. One problem
is that the alternator does not charge. Back in 1982 I bought an identical
CB750-F new off the lot. The alternator failed in that one too, shorted
windings in the rotor. Come to find out that this is a common problem.
About 3 years after I bought the used bike, I contacted Honda for a price
on the complete alternator assemb. Much to my chagrin the parts are, you
guessed it, NLA. Now my options are finding used (and possibly defective)
parts on the internet or taking the rotor and stator to a company in a
nearby town that can rewind them. I haven't made a decision yet since I've
been riding Harleys for a few years now but my girlfriend who can ride
wants to ride my Harley and I have let her a few times but would rather
put her on the Honda for obvious reasons Well at least until I can
afford to buy another Harley or she wins the lottery and buys me "the bike
of my dreams" like she said she would LoL.

Have it rewound by a good shop. Most of the used ones I have found were
crap. Or hit http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/ 125 bucks for a new one.
Mine came from them. Better than factory and fit like a glove.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York