Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jusme jusme is offline

Default need welding tricks.... keeping things cool

Get some air-conditioning, copper, capillary tubing and circulate water
through it after wrapping the Nylon bushing and shaft with it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a BUNCH of shafts that need to be welded (using tig) on the end
to secure an arm that is swaged onto the shaft. The weld will be
about .375 long, bonding the arm to the shaft. Directly behind the
arm, with about .250 clearance is a nylon bushing.... I don't want to
melt the bushing when welding. I have to weld a bunch of these... in
the hundreds. MIG welding puts too much of a bubble there, and the
tig looks OH soooo much nicer.

I need an easy setup to weld this without putting heat into the nylon
bushing.

I rigged up a small air nozzle to blow on the backside of the arm to
keep things cool.... I cannot seal the airflow from getting around to
the front because the design of the arm has a few screw holes in it, I
think the air flow from the nozzle is disrupting my welding gas.

So I was thinking about how I could eliminate the air flow, and I had
an idea this morning about submerging the shaft in water, with the
weld area above the water line. Now I would not be attempting this
without asking the group here about the impending dangers.... foremost
on my mind would be electric shock.... so please, if you have positive
and helpful remarks / suggestions I am all ears.