Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default Mica versus Silicone pad insulators

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:30:33 +0000, GregS wrote:
pieces. I have also tried to sand down surfaces that were not flush, and
even remove the oxide on aluminum, to optimize transfer.

Unless you're under oil or something, you _can't_ remove the oxide on
aluminum, because it so aggressively sucks up oxygen.

But, fortunately, aluminum oxide (especially in the thicknesses that it
spontaneously forms in air) is practically as good a heat conductor as
pure aluminum. :-)

And it's a much better electrical insulator. ;-D I've heard that
if you get the surface flat enough, and type III anodize it, that
you don't even need the mica.

Cheers!
Rich