Default Grinding wheels for HSS

On 4 May 2004 16:54:05 GMT, (Charles A.
Sherwood) wrote:
SNIP
What do I need to get started with CBN. I looked in the catalog and
it seems that you need an expenive break type dresser to go along with
your expensive CBN wheel. It also said the wheel needs to be running
with less than 1 thou runout. How do you measure that? I sure ain't
going to touch my indicators to the front of a grinding wheel!

Thanks for the help
chuck

I check mine at zero speed (manual rotation) and interpose a
piece of VCR tape.

If you're a bit ham handed and want to be doubly safe use two
thicknesses of tape.

The tape thickness is remarkably consistent and a single old
video cassette yields several lifetimes supply!

If you need to know the exact tape thickness keep folding and
doubling a length of tape until you've got 64 or 128 layers to yield a
convenient thickness to mic.

Jim