Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y
willshak willshak is offline

Default What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,orseen so far ?

on 9/11/2007 7:36 AM John B said the following:
dennis@home wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from John B ""johntoymaker\"@large puddle.com" contains these words:

While at Tech, doing my apprenticeship we where warned never to wear
jewellery, including rings in the work shop. (Although some of the
instructors wore ties).
To drive home the message several large posters of photographs were
displayed.
One that I've never forgotten was of a finger with a wedding ring
and a
long piece of string like stuff protruding from where it had been torn
from a hand.
This was a tendon that had stayed attached and pulled out from the
shoulder. No use or very little left in the blokes arm.

That photo made a lasting impression on me as well (back in 1962 or
63).
I was thinking about making a similar post myself when I found John had
beaten me to it.

Probably faked though as the tendon would only go till just after the
wrist where it attaches to the muscles that work the fingers.
About 6 inches I would estimate.
I always took my watch off after being told what happens if you
forget and reach between the battery bus bars and never have worn a
ring as they are naff and dangerous everywhere not just at work.

G'day Roger,
Could have been ?? May not have been a tendon, but that's the way I
remember it.
It still did the trick, even if they played around with it in the 60's
and 70's.
I won't let the War Office see this in case she takes your point of
view and makes me hunt up the ring

regards
John

Between then and now, your recollection of the length of the tendon has
been growing longer with each telling. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY